Monday, August 15, 2011

A New Family Member

Last week, we went to look in the pet store, as we've done before. Oogled the fish, birds, giggled at the dogs drooling, and checked out the cats. This guy did this to us:
Oh sweet boy.

And gave us kisses. I texted this pic to Derek and said "Uh oh". His response? "I get to name him/her." Yeah right. No way are we getting another pet! We're checking out the wild critters, the one picking his lock, the ones that wouldn't come to us, the ones hanging on the cages.

But this one
Oh that face!

Just kept being sweet. Then I turn around and my Goosie looks like this:

"I just really want a pet"

!? Honey what's wrong?! "I just want a pet! I don't care if it's a dog or a kitty, I just really want a pet!" Oh man. Quick, leave the store, but send a picture of this sweet face to Derek. We leave. I hug Goosie, and Derek calls.

"I don't care" he says.
"Dude!" I say.
"I know" he says.

Sigh I hug Goosie again and explain that we've said no more pets, but this one sure is sweet isn't he? YES! (with sniffles) We all talk about pet care, and both girls volunteer what they will do to help.

We go back in to fill out the adoption paper. We give our 3 personal references. We give our pet history. Oh boy. We get to hold "Axel", who just purrs like mad as I flip him onto his back and kisses my hand more. Home we go.

I worry that I just became "that mom" who gave into her kid because she was crying, but anyone who knows me knows I'm NOT that mom. AT ALL! Even my girls know that! haha :)

Two hours later, we get a call that we can bring him home the next day. So. Here we are, with new kitty, who is officially named Reuben. Like the sandwich. He's a sweet, sweet boy, very smart, loves Derek. hahha!

3 comments:

  1. Who could say no to that face?? The kitty and your daughter, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the addition!! What a cutie pie (Goosie is cute too!). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 i so know the feeling =)

    ReplyDelete